Propane is a very safe fuel, but as with any energy source, there are steps you should take to further ensure your safety:
- If you detect a gas leak, immediately evacuate everyone from the house and call your local propane provider or the fire department, using a neighbor’s telephone.
- Learn what propane smells like. Propane retailers have scratch-and-sniff pamphlets to help you recognize its distinctive odor.
- Know where gas lines are located, so you won’t damage them when digging or working in the yard.
- Change or clean furnace filters regularly as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Don’t store cleaning fluids, oil-soaked rags, gasoline, or other flammable liquids near a gas-burning appliance where vapors could be ignited by the pilot light.
And don’t forget, you can always contact us if you have an emergency! We are always happy to help.
To learn more about propane and its benefits, click here to download the New York Propane Gas Association (NYPGA) consumer guide.