Save Money and the Planet with Your Water Heater
Imagine a gallon of milk in your refrigerator. Now imagine 60 of them.
If you live in an average American household, that’s about how much hot water you use every day in your showers, dishwasher, sinks, and washing machine. As you can imagine, it isn’t cheap to heat that water: in fact, about 18 percent of your monthly energy bill on average, according the the U.S. Department of Energy.
The good news is that number isn’t set in stone.
The type of water heater you choose can have a big impact on how much you spend on your energy bill – not to mention the impact on the planet. For these reasons and more, a propane water heater is a great choice, especially when compared to electric water heaters.
Here are five reasons why:
- Simple economics – Propane provides more packs a bigger BTU punch per dollar than electricity, but that’s only one reason why you’ll save. When you factor in the lower cost to install and maintain propane equipment and its longer life span (see #4 below), a propane water heater comes out way ahead, with a total cost of ownership of about 30 percent less than electric-powered water heaters.
- Efficiency – Propane water heaters heat twice as much water in an hour than electric heaters; that means you will get more hot water from a smaller sized tank, and you’ll wait less time for water to heat between uses (this is known as “recovery time”). You’ll also pay less for your monthly energy bills.
- Eco-friendliness – Propane is so clean that it’s approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a clean alternative fuel. Propane offers lower greenhouse gas emissions than electricity water heating options, since much of that electricity is produced by coal-fired plants. Propane is also non-toxic, so accidental spills will not damage the environment.
- Convenience – Propane water heaters typically last a decade longer than electric-powered water heating pumps – which means you’ll spend less time and money on equipment repairs and replacements. Propane will also be available for you during a power outage, unlike electricity.
- Value – A propane water heater – especially a tankless model – could improve your Home Energy Rating System (HERS) and LEED scores, which adds value to your home if you sell it.
As you can see, a propane water heater is a cost effective workhorse that provides many advantages over its electric equivalent. But propane water heaters aren’t the only smart, high efficiency, eco-friendly water heating option available for your Hudson Valley home – indirect water heaters can also be a fine choice. More on those in a future blog…stay tuned!
Ready to make the switch from an electric water heater to a propane storage or tankless model? We can help! Contact us today to discuss high efficiency water heater options for your Hudson Valley home.