Save on Utility Bills This Heating Season with These Tips from Porco Energy
Everyone likes to save money – and most of us want to learn ways to tread a little more lightly on the planet. If you want to lower your utility bills and lead a more efficient lifestyle this fall and winter, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Control air leaks
- Seal gaps around windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping to keep the cold air out
- Close the fireplace damper when it’s not being used
- Invest in insulation for your attic and crawl spaces (check out these insulation tips from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
Make smart investments
- Install a programmable thermostat – it will pay for itself the first year you own it
- Aim for a temperature of 68 degrees for the best balance of comfort and efficiency; drop the temperature at night and when no one is home
- Turn down the thermostat on your water heater to 120 degrees (many manufactures set their default temperature higher)
Go for the easy fixes
- Kill the vampires – Plugged in appliances draw power even when they’re not in use (this is often called “vampire power” or “phantom load”); an advanced power strip (APS) will take care of the problem
- Washing clothing in cold water – A washing machine uses 25 gallons or more of hot water per load – that’s a lot of water heating. Today’s detergents are more than capable of getting the job done without the help of hot water
- Open curtains to get free solar heating; close them when the sun is down
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans to push rising hot air back into the room
Invest in new high efficiency heating equipment from Porco and you could save 30 percent or more on your monthly heating bills! Contact us today to get a FREE, no obligation estimate – or to learn more ways to save money and energy in the months ahead.